Manoeuvring and reversing vehicles on site is a major cause of workplace accidents and can lead to serious and sometimes fatal injuries. Employing a properly trained Banksman reduces the risk of potentially costly accidents and helps the employer comply with health and safety legislation. There must be a safe system of work that ensures the Banksman and driver are using standard signals, so that they are easily understood, and that the driver knows to stop the vehicle immediately if the Banksman disappears from view.
This practical half-day course is carried out at the employer's premises for up to 3 learners at a time. Learners will be taught the correct techniques to perform Banksman duties effectively, safely and legally.
Benefits to the employer and the learner
The course is proven to reduce accident rates that could involve injury to staff and damage to goods and property.
Employers can also demonstrate that they have met their duty of care under health and safety legislation.
- Understanding the roles of the driver and the Banksman in reversing operations
- The potential causes and resulting costs of accidents
- Areas of danger for reversing vehicles on the site
- Legal duties (Health & Safety at Work Act)
- Action checklists
- Vehicle manoeuvring activities
- Using the HSE Guide Notes HSG136 standard code of signals
- Physical measures and exclusion zones
Opportunities for further development
Other courses that provide complementary skill sets include:
- First Aid at Work
- Manual Handling
These courses will help to benefit both learners and employers.
Please call us on 0800 389 5283 or send us your enquiry via our online form