Large Goods Vehicle (LGV) drivers (formerly known as HGV drivers), collect, transport and deliver goods in rigid vehicles over 7.5 tonnes, articulated lorries and lorries pulling trailers. 306,800 people are employed as professional LGV drivers in the UK.
See www.skillsforlogistics.org for more information
All drivers of goods vehicles are required to hold the appropriate driving licence for the vehicle category in which they operate. These licences are acquired progressively and each have a testing process involving a knowledge test and a practical test. To become a driver of an articulated lorry an individual would be required to undertake three tests:
- Category B - the licence to drive cars and light vans up to 3.5 tonnes.
- Category C - the licence to drive rigid vehicles over 3.5 tonnes.
- Category C+E - the licence to drive vehicles over 3.5 tonnes with trailers.
In addition, some drivers may have taken a C1 test, which allows a person to drive rigid vehicles between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes.
Drivers' Certificate of Professional Competence (Driver CPC)
The Driver CPC is for LGV and PCV drivers who drive professionally. It has been developed as a requirement of the EU Directive 2003/59. This legislation came into force for professional LGV drivers on the 10th September 2009. Any LGV vehicle over 3.5 tonnes falls within scope of the Driver CPC.
There are two parts to the legislation:
- The Initial Qualification, which must be achieved by new LGV and PCV drivers along with their vocational licence.
- Periodic Training, which involves all professional drivers undertaking 35 hours of training over a 5 year period.
Click here to view our Drivers' CPC courses.
Mantra courses and apprenticeships
As a training provider with over 50 years experience in the haulage industry, Mantra offer the full range of courses and qualifications that professional drivers need including LGV licence acquisition, Driving Goods Vehicles qualifications and apprenticeships, ADR Certificate and Driver CPC.
Contact Mantra today to see how we can help you up-skill your drivers and improve your business performance.