Manoeuvring and reversing vehicles on site is a major cause of workplace accidents and can lead to serious and sometimes fatal injuries. Yard shunter drivers should be trained in safe working practices to minimise the risk of potentially costly accidents.
This practical half-day course is carried out at the employer's premises for up to 3 learners at a time. This course teaches drivers how to ensure the safe movement of vehicles, to be aware of potential dangers, to know the recommended HSE code of signals and also be able to safely manoeuvre a large vehicle and trailer around the site. Completion of the course allows learners to drive on the company's site only and not on the public highway.
Benefits to employer and employee
The course is proven to reduce accident rates that could involve injury to staff and damage to goods and property.
Employers can also demonstrate that they have met their duty of care under health and safety legislation.
- Understanding the company's safety procedure in relation to vehicles on site
- Employee's legal duties regarding the Health & Safety at Work Act
- Areas of danger for reversing vehicles on the site
- Understanding the vehicle and trailer controls
- Manoeuvring and reversing movements
- Correct coupling and uncoupling of trailers
- Using the HSE Guide Notes HSG136 standard code of signals
- Ensure the handover procedure is fully implemented and understood
Opportunities for further development
Other courses that provide complementary skill sets include:
- First Aid at Work
- Manual Handling
These courses will help to benefit both learners and employers.
Please call us on 0800 389 5283 or send us your enquiry via our online form