The Yard Shunter course is for anyone who holds at least a car driving licence and is responsible for shunting laden and unladen trailers on private land.
Overview of Course
This practical half-day course is carried out at the employer's premises for up to 3 learners at a time. This course teaches drivers how to ensure the safe movement of vehicles, to be aware of potential dangers, to know the recommended HSE code of signals and also be able to safely manoeuvre a large vehicle and trailer around the site.
Maneuvering and reversing vehicles on site is a major cause of workplace accidents and can lead to serious and sometimes fatal injuries. Yard Shunter drivers should be trained in safe working practices to minimise the risk of potentially costly accidents.
Did You Know?
What you will learn
- Understanding the company's safety procedure in relation to vehicles on site
- Employee's legal duties regarding the Health & Safety at Work Act
- Areas of danger for reversing vehicles on the site
- Understanding the vehicle and trailer controls
- Manoeuvring and reversing movements
- Correct coupling and uncoupling of trailers
- Using the HSE Guide Notes HSG136 standard code of signals
- Ensure the handover procedure is fully implemented and understood
The course is proven to reduce accident rates that could involve injury to staff and damage to goods and property.
Employers can also demonstrate that they have met their duty of care under health and safety legislation.
Other courses that provide complementary skill sets include:
- First Aid at Work
- Manual Handling
These courses will help to benefit both learners and employers.